COBOL programming - part 1
The training COBOL Programming is composed of 2 separate courses: in Part 1 the participant becomes familiar with the basic COBOL programming techniques, in Part 2 the more advanced topics are treated.
At the end of Part 1, the participant:
- knows the basic COBOL syntax;
- is able to develop, debug and execute COBOL programs.
This course is also available as a combined course (Parts 1 and 2), see COBOL programming: fundamentals course.
No public sessions are currently scheduled. We will be pleased to set up an on-site course or to schedule an extra public session (in case of a sufficient number of candidates). Interested? Please let us know.
Programmers who are going to write simple programs in COBOL. For a more detailed knowledge of all the possibilities of the COBOL language (advanced file processing, COBOL tables, working with submodules, ...), we refer to Part 2 of this training (COBOL programming - part 2).
Programming experience (Programming fundamentals). Some familiarity with an MVS/ISPF environment is desirable ( ISPF/PDF basics). You can test yourself to see if you have enough ISPF background by filling out the online selftest.
- Basic structure of a COBOL program:
- 4 divisions • sections, paragraphs and sentences.
- compile • link-edit • execution.
- Variables, computing and data editing:
- detailed discussion on the declaration of variables.
- special instructions on calculations.
- data editing.
- Conditional programming:
- statements that might influence the flow of the program.
- PERFORM • IF ... ELSE • EVALUATE.
- Treatment of files:
- use of files in COBOL (input / output) • error handling.
Classroom instruction. 70% of the time is spent on programming exercises.
|SESSION INFO AND ENROLMENT|