Linux/UNIX for advanced users
In this course participants learn to interpret and to influence the functioning and the actual state of a Linux/Unix system. A correct analysis of problem events and a good explanation of the tools to determine the cause, is what most of this course is about. The tools discussed are system oriented, they help to collect system data or to let you influence system operations.
No public sessions are currently scheduled. We will be pleased to set up an on-site course or to schedule an extra public session (in case of a sufficient number of candidates). Interested? Please contact ABIS.
Helpdesk and support people who have to solve problems or who have to support their Linux (Red Hat, Suse, Debian, Ubuntu, ...) or UNIX (AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, BSD, Mac OS X) user community. This course is not meant for those intending to follow an administration course (e.g. Linux system administration), or aiming for an LPI certificate (for which we refer to our LPIC-1 certification track (exam 101)).
Participants are expected to have followed the Linux/UNIX fundamentals or to have equivalent practical experience. You can test for yourself to see if you have enough background by filling out the on-line self-test.
- Understanding processes:
- scheduling, priority, daemons and attached processes
- ps, top, ...
- cron and at
- Disk space usage:
- free inodes versus free space; du, df, ...
- disk quota
- logical volume managers (LVM)
- Paging space
- Archiving, backup and recovery
- compression versus archiving
- tar, zip, cpio, gzip, bzip2, dd
- User and group administration
- Network diagnosis and communication tools:
- ftp, sftp and Unix "remote" commands: rlogin, rsh, rcp, ssh, scp
- arp, netstat, ifconfig, ping, dig, nslookup, ...
- basic tcp/ip configuration
- sudo, restricted shell, ssh, ...
- Terminal manipulation, X-window
- For Power users:
- tty • non-Unix file formats • task scheduling • ksh vs. bash
Classroom instruction with demonstrations and practical exercises.
Koen De Backer, Peter Vanroose, Kris Van Thillo.
|SESSION INFO AND ENROLMENT|