ISTQB Certified Tester - Advanced Level (CTAL): test manager
Software Testing is part of the development life cycle. Testing has become indispensable when it comes to assessing the quality of the software product and to help making the right management decisions.
Some of the topics covered in this ISTQB Certified Tester Advanced Level Test Manager (CTAL-TM) course are:
- in-depth reviews of the ISTQB Foundation level, whilst broadening the scope (the testing process, test management and reviews);
- looking at the subject from a different angle as opposed to the ISTQB Foundation level (test tools and automation and defect management);
- brand new topics on test management (improving the test process and people skills).
The course will therefore offer you with a profound knowledge to deal with a variety of situations:
- organizational (e.g. development method used, offshore teams,...);
- people (e.g. test teams, communication, personal development,...);
- project (e.g. budget, metrics, estimation & planning,...);
- testing and QA (improvement, reviews, audits,...);
- tooling & method (tool assessment, defect process, international test standards,...).
Please note that this course does not focus on any specific project (Prince2®, PMP®, ...), development (RUP®, XP, DSDM®,...) or test (TMap®, TestFrame™, STBox™, Testing Intelligence™,...) methodology. The principles taught here can be applied to any existing methodology.
After attending this course, you will be able to:
- Manage a testing project by implementing the mission, goals and testing processes established for the testing organization.
- Organize and lead risk identification and risk analysis sessions and use the results of such sessions for test estimation, planning, monitoring and control.
- Create and implement test plans consistent with organizational policies and test strategies.
- Continuously monitor and control the test activities to achieve project objectives. Assess and report relevant and timely test status to project stakeholders.
- Identify skills and resource gaps in their test team and participate in sourcing adequate resources.
- Identify and plan necessary skills development within their test team.
- Propose a business case for test activities which outlines the costs and benefits expected.
- Ensure proper communication within the test team and with other project stakeholders.
- Participate in and lead test process improvement initiatives.
On top of that, if you pass the exam, you will hold the CTAL-TM certificate.
Although this module is called "Test management", the course is not limited to testers with a function title "Test Manager", but it does focus more on the management of the testing process. It is therefore useful for anyone in the testing business that is leading a group of testers, reporting to management and/or is involved in setting up or refining test processes:
- Everyone in a leading role within testing
- Experienced testers in a leading role who require a theoretical background
- Test consultants with a focus on test methods and improvements
- Everyone preparing for the CTAL-TM examination
To get the Advanced Level certification, candidates must hold the ISTQB Certified Tester - Foundation Certificate (CTFL) and have sufficient practical experience (at least 18 months in software testing). We recommend that you follow the ISTQB Certified Tester - Foundation Level (CTFL) course to get the CTFL.
The course is structured according to the ISTQB Advanced Test Management syllabus:
- Testing process: in depth review of the ISTQB testing process
- Test management: models, estimation, test documentation, metrics, distributed/ outsourced / insourced testing
- Reviews and audits: what are these, how do you manage them?
- Defect management: lifecycle, defect reports, process improvement
- Improving the testing process using TMMi®, TPI®, STEP or CTP
- Test tool and automation: selection & management, metrics
- People skills: test team, motivation, communication, testing within the organisation
The course is heavily focused on practical exercises. A voucher for an online exam (180 minutes) is included in the course fee.
TTL.be (accredited ISTQB training provider).
|SESSION INFO AND ENROLMENT|